Health Care Practicum
Consider a practicum location that offers you great experience and lots of variety — come to northern Alberta! Alberta Health Services offers a wide range of settings and experiences and with NADC, are offering the funding to help make it happen.
The Health Care Practicum Funding Program is offered jointly by the northern zone of Alberta Health Services and the Northern Alberta Development Council. Within the northern zone there are designated locations and practicum positions that can be funded. This funding can help you with the costs of travel to and from a community, commuting between two northern communities and with accommodation costs when you are there. Note that only practicum placements in healthcare centers and programs listed are eligible. A list of specific locations and positions is attached to the application form below.
Funding is available up to these maximum amounts based on the duration of your practicum:
- $1200 for 0-3 months
- $1800 for 3-6 months
- $2500 for 6+ months
Note: Funding approval is not automatic. Funds are limited and applications may be prioritized based on regional demand.
- All claimed costs must be accompanied by receipts and are subject to final review and approval by the placement coordinator.
- Accommodation claims are based on a daily rate of $20 ($25 for your second northern practicum) if you need to keep your other residence. For example an eight week practicum is 56 days, at $20/day is a total of $1120. This can be claimed with receipts for secondary accommodation and proof of payment for a primary dwelling.
- Travel in Alberta will be subject to mileage reimbursement from the location of school to your practicum site at 50.5¢ per km (for example: Edmonton to Manning: 600 km x 2 (return) = 1200 km x 50.5¢ = $606).
- Daily commuting mileage will be reimbursed for students originating in northern centers (for example: studying in Grande Prairie but daily commuting to Fairview for your practicum; 110km x 2 (return) = 220km x 50.5¢ = $111.10 x 12 days = $1333.20).
- Airfare may be claimed by out of Province students only.
Here's how you apply:
To apply for the funding, arrange the practicum with your placement coordinator, complete the application form, scan it and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org . Alberta Health Services will let you know if your funding is approved (decisions are made on a quarterly basis). If approved, you receive the funding at the end of your practicum placement with proof of receipts and upon approval of the placement coordinator. You will be asked to complete an evaluation at the end of your practicum as part of program evaluation.